Friday, February 13, 2009

Coconut wireless & Cocoa Samoa

Samoans always know what is occurring in the village…meetings, extra church services, village events, etc. If someone does something in another village, even before the person is back home, the news of what they did will have already reached the village. We call this the coconut wireless. It works great for Samoans, everyone always seems to know what is going on and shows up, making the community run smoothly. Being an outsider, I never can get my coconut wireless to operate properly. My village shows up for an event, notices the palagi isn’t there, and if I do show up eventually, asks why I was late. It is very hard to explain how no one told me about the event and the only reason why I was there was because someone noticed in passing I was still at my house and not at the event. I never know what is going on, but I’m used to that by now.

Cocoa Samoa is best described as the best hot chocolate ever. The process of making cocoa Samoa takes a long time, but since there is no where to go and nothing to do this isn’t really a problem. First you have to get the cocoa from the tree. Then you bite out the bean from the fruit and roast it. Next, you shell the cocoa beans and roast them for a little bit longer. Then you use a rock to grind the cocoa beans to make cocoa powder. Then you put the powder in hot water and mix. The whole process of getting the beans from the inside of the fruit, roasting the beans, grinding the beans, and finally to drinking it takes about an hour or hour and a half. That’s a really long time for hot chocolate, but it is worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting article and the author seems to have a good personality for surviving in Samoa. As a former Peace Corps voluteer in Samoa (it was Western Samoa back then), I became very familiar with the coconut telegraph - but you can also call it the "uaealesi moso'oi" or moso'oi wireless. Yes, it does send messages faster than the speed of light. Faiaoga mai Falelatai

    ReplyDelete