Thursday, May 21, 2009

This whole no water thing is starting to get really old

So it has been a week now that the water has basically been off. Sometimes there is a trickle of water, and thank goodness for that otherwise I’d have no water whatsoever. I’m also really lucky I’ve been hanging out with the women the past week and they fed me, otherwise cooking and doing dishes would be a real chore as well. I’d also not know what I’d be drinking because my water filter doesn’t really work either (I filled the top bucket up a week ago and it is still not done filtering, it should only take 30 minutes or so to filter one bucket). So even if there was water, I wouldn’t be able to drink it. I could try to drink the pipe water, but the probability of getting water out of the pipe that is actually clean and drinkable is very low. My water is kinda disgusting down here on the south side. I fill the top bucket of my water filter up and am amazed when I can see down to the bottom of it. It is rare I ever get water that looks like water; usually it has a brown/yellow tint to it. Yummy! I get plenty of tea and cocoa Samoa when I’m with the women, so I’m well hydrated that way. I’m glad I was able to do my laundry before the pipe went out. That being said it rained for three days after I hung my laundry up to dry, so it took three days to dry. But at least I had clothes for the week. Unfortunately, I’m almost out of clothes again. I feel really bad for my Dad because he comes in a week and somehow I doubt the whole water situation will be solved. Looks like he is going to get the real Samoan experience complete with at bucket bath. And for those wondering what a bucket bath is, I will explain as I have had to take many of them while here in Samoa and quite a few the past week. Here’s what you do: fill a bucket with water, take a bowl and dump water over yourself, lather up, dump water over yourself again, and you are done. This is a common bathing technique for those with out access to running water. It can be done in a shower facility or while standing outside in an ie. The other option for bathing without running water is the river, which many of my fellow residents do as well. Sometimes if it rains hard enough, which rain here is almost never a light mist more like a total downpour; adults will send the kids outside to shower in the rain. All of these techniques are common in Samoa, but those of us palagis are used to our running water and our vai paipa (or pipe water). It wouldn’t be so bad if I had come to the village and have always had water issues. But before this the pipe had gone out only twice and for less than a day each time. So I’m not used to not having water, which is what makes it so frustrating. However, one thing you learn early in training is do what the Samoans do. So, I open the tap, stick a bucket under it and gather the dripping water, hoping it will be enough for a bucket bath. It is funny the affect Samoa has on a person. If thrown right in to a situation with no water, I’d probably really freak out. Water is a precious commodity and kind of necessary to sustain life. Since being here almost a year though, you just get used to things like no water and no power. It is all part of life here in Samoa. Instead of freaking out, I just fill up the bucket and filemu (take it easy). No need to worry, the water will hopefully come back on. Until then there isn’t much I can do about it, so why freak out. With that said, I do hope the water comes back on soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment