Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The craziness continues

A couple of weeks after I moved in with the family I currently live with I found out they were planning on moving to New Zealand. This was bad. I was still adjusting to life post-tsunami and was starting to get used to living with a family. I told the office this and kept updating them on the situation as it developed. The paperwork, as the nature of paperwork, kept getting returned and delaying the process to where I knew they weren't leaving until sometime past the New Year. So it had somewhat fallen off the radar, especially while I was on vacation for 3 weeks around the holidays.

I got back from vacation and they were still trying to sort paperwork out. Ok, I have time I thought. Then it became "everything is good, just waiting to hear back from Immigration here in Samoa." This was problematic, meant it would be sometime soon. My family picked their visas up last week. The visas are valid until May 4th. So that means sometime between now and May 4th they leave. Not good. This means for the 2nd time in 6 months I'm homeless.

Yesterday, they got tickets from their relatives who were paying for them...valid for Feb 26th. I now have 17 days to find someplace to live. Really not good.

The village's plan for me was to move back into the pre-school. Well, it isn't finished. The outer walls are done and the roof, but no shower, toilet, doors, walls or windows...and no electricity. Again, really not good.

So we have 17 days to finish the pre-school. It is possible, but not likely since we have no money nor supplies to finish it. We are still waiting on two proposals to go through to get the funding to finish it. Not looking good.

But, the village is re-building some buildings near the church and the pastor's wife is going to talk to the matai to see if we can borrow some supplies, finish the pre-school, then replace those supplies when the grants go through. Problem is, I don't think they have the right supplies for this style of building (open vs closed house makes a difference in necessary supplies). Plus, getting things done quickly is always hard to do here.

So, the next week will be very interesting. If they can't complete the pre-school in 17 days (or even soon after), I might be moving to Apia. This depends though on if I can find a job and housing. Housing is the biggest issue, quite scarce in Apia. We are trying to see if I can work for the Football Federation more hours, but I doubt they have anything more I can do since it is a small operation and still in development. Or, I might be coming home, an option I'm not too fond of nor ready for.

So I have a very stressful week ahead of me, especially not knowing if this is the last few weeks I have in Samoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment